Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wonder

I wonder about things. All these things that I mentioned in the "cluster" post. I think there are connections. A web. People say X causes Y. In human behavior and psiology, there's so many factors. I think they combine.

That girl I mentioned, J. She mentioned that her dad died of diabetes. She said it runs in her family. She has a nice figure, but is plump, with the weight on her belly. No a big butt, like lots of girls have, but the stomach. My mom, myself, my aunt, grandmother, and two grandfathers have big bellies, but slender legs and hips. I have heard that is the worst kind of fat distribution for health. It is associated with insulin resistance.

Diabetes and alcoholism: I read that lots of alcoholics have hypoglycemia, low or variable blood sugar in alcoholics, and binge on carbs. ADD'ers are at increased risk of addictions. ADD'ers binge on carbohydrates. This girls dad was diabetic and alcoholic. My parents are alcoholics. I went through a binge drinking phase when I was younger. My mom carb binges and has diabetes cookbooks in her house. She hasn't told me she has diabetes or prediabetes, but she's odd and secretive and suspicious sometime. Truth be told, I might be a little bit too. Even writing this blog feels strange to me, since it's personal. My parents would be aghast at the idea. Suspiciousness and a tendency towards isolation is asssociated with the Limbic style of ADD, according to Dr. Amen. Limbic ADD associated with marijuana use. Marijuana use makes one paranoid. ADD'ers, some say, can be hyper (I'm not) because they are sleepy cognitively, and are trying to stimulate their brain to wake up and help them focus. Pot to become anxious, to help ADD symptoms? It makes other symptoms, like unfocus, worse. Natural pot chemicals in the brain, neurotransmitters, anandamide, recently discovered. They are most active in the limbic system, which controls memory and emotions, and combines them. It affects mood, memory and focus. It talks to the frontal lobes, which control the executive funtion (organizing) That ADD'ers are deficient in.

Those gene tests I took say I test with two genes specifically conferring protection against childhood diabetes. Here's a theory I just made up: Diabetes is an autoimmune disease. starches cause spike in insulin. Insulin is bad for the body. The immune system attacks the isthmus of langerhans, or whatever that thing that makes insulin in the brain is called, and kills it. No more insulin, and childhood diabetes. Maybe the gene I have, that protects against that kind of diabetes makes you body ignore insulin, so the immune system isn't triggered to attack the insulin production. BUt, you produce way too much bad insulin, and become insulin resistant and get diabetes. This means the gene is just slowing down the process, not stopping it. I read these HLA types are increasing in the population, so they are genetically beneficial.

No comments: