Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Day 164 Wednesday September 19

FOOD:

Bacon and eggs for breakfast

Liver for lunch
Also a small bit of rice and corn

Fasting in the PM


WEIGHT: 255
CAFFEINE: coffee, lots
SLEEP: 6 hours?
SUN:
EXERCISE:
BLOOD SUGAR:
KETONES:

EVENTS/MOOD/ALERTNESS:
Well, today was an OK day in the end, I suppose. During the day I was a little frustrated and I've been procrastinating with things at work and the haven't been very productive. I've been putting off doing some things at work for a while and then I tried being a little more productive and had some setbacks today and was feeling frustrated. Then I started to have some more successes and I guess I just started feeling more confident. Also I didn't eat much junk today and continued fasting in the afternoon and it seems to improve my mood as I've noticed before. I also read some interesting things today about ketones and low carb diets in Alzheimer's disease. Apparently diet is a large risk factor for Alzheimer's disease. So much so that some have actually referred to Alzheimer's as type three diabetes. Ketones apparently are the brain's preferred source of fuel and brain runs better with ketones. I've read a number of different things that seem to support this, and it ties in with some of the things I've been thinking about in terms of low carb being a good thing for the brain, and for brain health in general. I am also bought that sense high carbohydrate diets caused insulin resistance, in which the body can't use insulin and glucose properly, perhaps something similar happens with the brain. So then that the brain that cannot get the glucose it needs, or uses it inefficiently. Ketones are a back door source of fuel, one which the brain actually prefers to use. Low carbohydrate diets, or ketogenic diets, have been used with some success to fight cancers, brain cancers, parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's.

One other thing that I started to think more about is my use of diet soda. I've read some negative things about aspartame, and I'm not sure what to believe. However, I have read some indications that artificial sweeteners cause the same kind of carbohydrate craving that real sweeteners do. This seems to make sense to me, because on days where I'm eating more carbohydrates, I also ended up drinking more diet sodas. I'm not sure which is causing more of my cravings for more carbohydrates, the carbs themselves or the diet sodas, but I have a feeling that both are doing so. I definitely feel some kind of craving for diet pop, and I need to be more diligent about avoiding it.

All the crazy things happening at work are pretty frustrating to me but over time I guess I'm getting a little bit more of sense of perspective about it. I really think in the end it could be a very good thing for me to make the changes that they have been making, but it's going to be difficult in the short run

Also in a side note, for anyone who reads this, and I'm not sure that anyone does, I'm composing this entry with speech recognition software period so if during the crazy mistakes it's not my fault!

Also, i've been getting a little bit better about getting enough sleep. I've been getting almost 10 hours of sleep a night but last night only six. So it was a little hard are getting up this morning but not too bad because most days I do get enough sleep. Well, with that I guess I should finish up this entry and get to sleep myself now. Good night!

No comments: