Monday, June 18, 2007

HbA1c results are in!

So, the results are in, and my score is 5.7. In the last 70 days I think the only bread I've had was one mini cupcake. I ate a few cups of potato salad, had baked beans a few times, and ate chicken nuggets with breading a number of times. I've been walking once or twice a week, and drank a number of beers. So, altogether pretty good I think. I've eaten mostly meat, much of that grassfed, megadosed on omega3's and vitamins.  I ate blueberries, strawberries, salads, broccoli, and  some other veges. I had sugary ketchup and bbq sauce a few times. So pretty tight, really. And I'm within the normal range, yet towards the high end still. Very interesting, I'm glad I had this done. The fingerprick blood sample seems not so accurate . L ike yesteday when it was 125, I redid it and it was 105.
Next I should do a cholesterol panel!


The normal range (that found in healthy persons) is 4%–5.9%.[2].


People with diabetes mellitus often have higher levels of HbA1c. While diabetic patient treatment goals vary, many include a target range of HbA1c values. A diabetic person with good glucose control has a HbA1c level that is close to or within the reference range. The International Diabetes Federation and American College of Endocrinology recommends HbA1c values below 6.5%, while the range recommended by the American Diabetes Association extends to 7%. A high HbA1c represents poor glucose control. Because of the complications due to poorly controlled diabetes mellitus, many surgeons will not operate on patients with a HbA1c level above 7%.

Interpreting results is somewhat difficult because (1) laboratory results can differ depending on the analytical technique and (2) biological variation between individuals can be up to 1 percentage point (i.e., two individuals with the same average blood sugar can have A1C values that differ by up to 1 percentage point).[3]

The mapping between HbA1c and blood glucose average is shown in the table below.HbA1c (%) Avg. Blood Sugar (mmol/L) Avg. Blood Sugar (mg/dL)
5 4.5 80
6 6.7 120
7 8.3 150
8 10.0 180
9 11.6 210
10 13.3 240
11 15.0 270
12 16.7 300


Lower than expected levels of HbA1c can be seen in people who have an increased red blood cell (RBC) turn-over, such as with G6PD, Sickle-cell disease, or any other condition causing immature red blood cell death. Higher than epected levels can be seen in people with a lower RBC turn-over, such as with Vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.

No comments: